Microsoft Graph is an Office 365 API provided by Microsoft that can be leveraged with QuickHelp to provision user accounts and keep QuickHelp licenses concurrent with those of a customer's Office 365 tenant. It is also used to provide data regarding O365 usage. From the QuickHelp Admin portal, you will be able to see how your end users are utilizing your O365 apps and how using QuickHelp impacts that usage.
If your organization has the "Display Anonymous Identifier" box checked within your O365 portal the Value Calculator data will not display. (All other data will display correctly whether you have the box checked or not)
(See Microsoft's article here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-analytics-and-reports/user-activity-report)
The configuration is completed in the QuickHelp Administrator Portal, so to complete the following steps, your QuickHelp login must have administrator privileges.
Let's walk through the configuration:
- Log in to the QuickHelp Admin Portal.
- Click on Settings > Office Graph.
- Check Enable Microsoft Graph.
- Sync Users is selected by default and cannot be un-checked.
- Usage Data is selected by default, but can be un-checked if your organization does not want to take advantage of the Graph Reports provided by QuickHelp. It is BrainStorm's best practice to keep this checked.
- The Groups and People check-boxes are not tied to any current functionality but are there in preparation for future features. They can be disregarded at this time.
- Click Login to Microsoft O365.
- You will be prompted to login to your organization's Office 365 portal - the login you use must have global administrator permissions.
NOTE: The Global Admin’s credentials are only visible to Microsoft. QuickHelp does not have visibility to them.
- Once logged in to Office 365, Microsoft will present an acceptance dialog for QuickHelp - click Consent on behalf of your organization and then Accept. NOTE: although the above dialog box displays these specific permissions will be granted, Microsoft Office Graph API does not grant QuickHelp the following: Sign in and read user profile
- You will be asked how you want to add licenses.
- Manually - all users (with any type of O365 license) will be imported into QuickHelp, but no QuickHelp license is assigned. Users will not have QuickHelp access until an organizational QuickHelp administrator manually assigns a license, or the user successfully authenticates via Single Sign-On. The user will not receive any emails from QuickHelp until a license is assigned. If a user's O365 license is removed, and the user was imported into QuickHelp via Microsoft Graph (not SSO, CSV, etc.) the QuickHelp license will also be removed during the next Microsoft Graph sync. To automatically remove licenses from users using all account creation methods, this must be set to Automatically.
- Automatically - all users , and a QuickHelp license is assigned at the same time. Users will have immediate QuickHelp access and will receive emails from QuickHelp. will be imported into QuickHelp* If a user's O365 license is removed, the QuickHelp license will also be removed during the next Microsoft Graph sync.* Emails are distributed dependent on your User Emails settings within the QuickHelp Admin Portal.
- Enter an email in the "Send email to" field. This email will receive import results from the Microsoft Graph sync with QuickHelp.
- If you selected to add licenses Automatically, you will be presented with two additional options. The first option asks how you want to treat users created with methods.
- Synchronize licenses with O365 for Office Graph account creation method only - data for any user with an O365 license, regardless of creation method, will be updated according to their Office 365 profile. This includes Job Title, Department, and O365 license type. However, the QuickHelp license will only be automatically sync'ed with users created via Microsoft Graph. This should be used if you have QuickHelp users, such as contractors, who do not have O365 licenses in your tenant.
- Synchronize licenses with O365 for all account creation methods - data for any user with an O365 license, regardless of creation method, will be updated according to their Office 365 profile. This includes Job Title, Department, and O365 license type. Selecting this option will also sync the QuickHelp license with any user's O365 license. If all of your QuickHelp users also have O365 licenses in your tenant, then this is a good option for you.
- The second option you will be presented with asks if you want to filter QuickHelp licenses. (e.g.: O365 License Type, Department, Job Title, Country, etc.)You can mix and match the filters as needed. This option is especially helpful if you are doing a phased rollout for QuickHelp, are only assigning licenses to your E1 and/or E3 users, or are only assigning licenses to specific departments. All users will be imported into QuickHelp, but only the users that match the designated filters will be assigned a QuickHelp license.
- Nothing selected - all users will be imported into QuickHelp, and a QuickHelp license is assigned at the same time. Users will have immediate QuickHelp access and will receive emails from QuickHelp.
- Rule - choose a Rule from the Rule pulldown menu (e.g.: O365 License Type, Department, Job Title, Country, etc.). The Criteria pulldown menu will populate from your O365 tenant based on this choice.
- Criteria - a list of criteria (e.g. Job Titles, O365 licenses, etc.) will appear in this list based on whichever Rule is selected in the previous step.
- To add additional Rules, click the + icon to the right of the existing Rule.
NOTE: When multiple criteria for the same Rule is selected, e.g. Department, then users with any of the selected departments will be granted a QuickHelp license. When criteria for different Rules is selected, e.g. Department and Job Title, then only users that have both criteria will be granted a QuickHelp license. When multiple criteria for different rules is selected, e.g. 3 Departments and 2 Job Titles, then only users with at least one of the matching departments and one of the matching Job Titles will be granted a QuickHelp license.
- Once all the above configuration is complete, click Save Changes in the Action Bar at the bottom of the browser.
- QuickHelp syncs with Microsoft Graph every night, but if you want to synchronize immediately, click Synchronize Now.
NOTE: Only users with an email domain that is on your organization's approved domain list for QuickHelp will be imported. Please contact your BrainStorm-assigned Client Success Manager if there are any questions about approved domains.